The very first and very last thing I do every day that I work is milk the cows. These cows must be milked twice a day. The dairy farm contains 20 milking machines and about 250 cows. The milks were all collected in a large milk tank. Me, along with two other interns, helped in milking the cows. We had an unspoken system of first, cleaning the cows' teats with a hand towel that was soaked in warm water and soap. Then, we insert the teat cups into the teats of the cows. After five or so minutes of collecting the milk, we spray the teats with some substance. This process takes about two hours to do.
During my first week of interning, my other tasks included cleaning after the cow's poop, feeding the cows water and food, building an electric fence that cows will be transported to in the future, hauling rocks, and mulching crops. My tasks varied each day. The only thing that stayed constant was the milking schedule. Of course, the cows had to be fed every day, but I was not necessarily responsible for that task on a daily basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment